Abiacao is one of the barrios of San Luis which is situated almost in the middle of the municipality. It is bounded in the east of Sta. Monica. Bonliw and Balagtasin in the South with a ravine separating http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the barrios of Talon and Dulangan. Although situated in the hilly place, it is accessible now to reach. Feeder roads are constructed by the people of the barrio with the aid of the municipal board. The barrio is about two and one half square kilometers in area and three kilometers away http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the town proper.

How the barrio got its name is an interesting story as retold some old folks of the place. Years before the Philippine Revolution there were only a few houses and inhabitants scattered in the place. They said that Spanish soldiers came because the people were afraid; they evacuated the place for fear. Spanish soldier may do harm to them. Later Spanish soldier camped in the place for they found it a safe place to live in. They also found a ravine that provided a safe place to store their foods and other supplies. As time passed sometimes residents come to visit them to offer help but were driven by the Spanish soldier. Because of these attitudes, the folks became angry and whenever they had a chance to go to the place and saw the abundant supply of food, they were attempted to steal. This incident gives way to the naming of the place as Abiacao formed by the two syllables “Abiya” which meant food and “Caw” the last syllable of work uttered by them whenever they get food without the consent of the owner’s.

Ang barangay ng Bagong Tubig ay nasa dakong ibaba at tabing kanluran ng bayan ng San Luis, Batangas. Ang mga karatig nito ay: sa Ilaya ay barangay Dulangan, sa Silangan ay barangay Bonliw, sa Ibaba ay barangay Banoyo at sa Kanluran ay dagat (Balayan Bay), may lawak na mahigit isang (1) kilometro parisukat. Nang maging ang San Luis ay dati nang baryo ang Bagong Tubig at sakop pa ito ng bayan ng Taal, Batangas. Ang silangang bahagi nito ay bulubundukin at ang kanlurang bahagi at tubigan at kapatagan. Ang mga naging teniente o kapitan nito sy sina: Foligencio Alcazar, Julian Morales, Ananias Hernandez, Aquino Lastimosa, Hermogenes Ligaya at Antonio Cabesuala. Ang mga produkto nito ay palay, mais, niyog, saging, sari-saring prutas at gulay. Ang mga ina-alagaanghayop ditto ay baka,kalabaw, baboy, kambing at manok.

Sa nasabing bahagi ng bulubundukin nito ay mayroong isang bukal na katutubo pa ng mundo at nagbubuhat sa pader sa isang agbang nito na kinukunan ng masarap na tubig at sa nasabing bahagi ng kapatagan, duon sa tubigan nito ay mayroong bumuswak na isa pang bagong bukal ng tubig at naging tunay na balon na kung tawagin ay MALAGAKLAK, kinukunan din ng masarap na tubig kung kaya tinawag at ang ipinangalan dito ay BAGONG TUBIG. Noong taong 1968 ang bukal sa nasabing agbang ay kinulong sa isang malaking tangke ng tubig sa pangunguna ng Barangay Kapitan noon at dumaloy ang tubig sa mga bahay na nararating sa pamamagitan ng tubo (spring development). Nagpagawa pa uli ng isang tangke ng tubig doon din sa nasabing bulubundukin at doon sumipi ng tubig sa bukal sa Barangay Boboy sa pamamagitan din ng tubo at pawing nakakatikim ng malini at masarap na tubig ang buong Barangay Bagong Tubig.

Marami na rin ang nakatapos ng kurso dito at ang iba ay nagtatrabaho na sa atin at sa ibang bansa. Mahigit ng 700 na mamamayan ang naninirihan dito. Dito ay lamang sa bilang ng magsasaka at ang iba ay negosyante. Nong buwan ng Mayo 1982 at buwan ng Marso 1983 ay anim na katao na kasama rin nila ang dalawang taga karatig barangay na nagtungo sa lalawigan ng Cagayan upang magnegasyo subalit hanggang sa ngayon ay hindi na sila nakabalik sa kanilang pamilya, isa na nga sa mga iyon si Barangay Kapitan Antonio Cabesuela ng barangay na ito. Apat na lansangan mayroon ang barangay Bagong Tubig at iyon ay dinadaanan din patungo sa mga ibang barangay at isa na doon ay ang panlalawigang lansangan na ngayon ay wala ng aspalto, pare-pareho nang baku-bako, nahihirapan ng dumaan ang mga sasakyan at lalo na ang mga pasahero samantalang isang kilometro lamang ang layo nito sa bayan ng San Luis. Ang pamumuhay ngayon ng mga taga rito ay umunlad naman kaysa dati.

Nestling the foot of Durungao heights, in the southern nook of the town of San Luis, is the little barangay of Balagtasin. Like other barrios, it got its name http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph something which, in the past days had some correlation to it. Still traceable in the eastern part of the barrio, is an old road traversing Balagtasin’s main road. The old road is the only connecting link between the barrios north of Balagtasin and the ones south of it. As two road cross each other, the place in its vicinity is called Balagtasin, which means intersection. No information can be gathered with regards to the date of establishment of this barrio.

The original families of this barrio were the following:

  1. Gonzalbo Family
  2. Carandang Family
  3. Hernandez Family
  4. Moresca Family
  5. Cortez Family

The following tenientes have served the barrio:

  1. Mariano Gonzalbo Andres Hernandez
  2. Saturnino Cortez Posidion Carandang
  3. Jose Mendoza Jose Gonzalbo
  4. Sotero Moresca Eulalio Noche
  5. Pamfilo Moresca Eulalio Gonzalbo
  6. Angel Villanueva Juan Moresca
  7. Fabian Carandang Isidro Moresca

There was an in counter between the American troops and the Filipino forces in nearby hill. The Filipino soldiers were under the command of Lt. Mariano Aseron. The other Filipino leaders in this battle were Sgt. Juan Magsombol and Col. Basilio Hernandez, after one day battle, the Filipinos were defeated.

In the early part of the American regime, render pest broke out in the neighboring barangays and in barrio or barangay itself. The pest destroyed or killed scores of cattle and this made the life of the poor farmers even poorer. However, vaccination and other remedial measures were taken to check the epidemic of the animals.

Cattle rustling was very frequent everywhere. The able bodied male population was caught by the American soldiers because they were believed to be insurgents.

The happiness of the barrio folks suddenly came to an end with the arrival of the Japanese. Little by little the economic condition of the people deteriorated. The prices of the prime commodities rose to a peak that was not within the reach of most of the people. So many people restored to cassavas, corn and other root crops for their food. As the prices of clothing materials also became very high many people used sinamay clothes and weaving an important industry.

Often times a group of Japanese kempetai went to the villages and got chicken and eggs. They also obliged the people to give logs to be used in their dugouts. However no deaths at the hands of the Japanese soldiers were incurred among the people of the barrio.

Lubloban – in one portion of Balagtasin there is a pond which is always filled with water during rainy days, travelers at night witness the apparition commonly in the form of a very big carabao, wallowing in the muddy water of the pond, since then the place is considered haunted and fearful are the feelings of the youngster who has to pass the place on dark midnights. The place was that called Lubloban, a native world which means wallowing place.

Towi – a few minutes walk http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Lubloban is another sitio, popularly known among the barrio folks, as Towi. It got it’s name http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph a tree. Towi, as the tree was called, was so tall that it could be seen far away. As its unusual height could call the attention of every passerby, the place surrounding the said tree was named Towi.

Kaysimbahan – was a name applied to a place near a very deep ravine with stiff cliffs similar to the walls of the Spanish church. Simbahan means church.

Now very significant events took place during the Spanish sovereignty. However signs of discontents among the masses were very rampant everywhere. Fear http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the civil guards (guardia civil) and heavy cedula tax made the wretched condition to poor even worst. The male population of the community avoided contact with the inhuman civil guards as much as possible.

Balite was named after the biggest and oldest living Balite tree at the center of the Barangay. It towers above the surrounding trees and houses and has stood all known of the ages.

Balite nestle as if engraved at the foot of the mountain of Locloc, very close to the sea. It can be reached http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Poblacion by land, either by jeepneys, or by walking. It can also be reached by boat http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Dulangan when the weather is fine and during high tide.

This seashore barangays was formerly a sitio of Banoyo.it became a barangay way back in 1952 with Mr. Fernando Mendoza as the first Barangay Captain. Now, Mr. Mendoza was elected town councilman, he was succeeded by Mr. Ponciano Marasigan.his councilman are the following:

  1. Rodolfo Anoyo Librado Mendoza
  2. Salvador de Villa Teodoro Lasala
  3. Graciano Onda

The houses are built very close to each other, so that neighbors could talk to each other even without living their houses. Ninety five percent (95%) of the inhabitants are fishermen. Their woman folks bring and sell fish to the market. The other who have not had the opportunity to continue their schooling, crush the stone along the seashore. The women of the barangay are very industrious. They not only sell their husband catch to the market, but they also help in crushing stones.

Poverty has not been a hindrance in pursuing education in this small barangays. A doctor, a lawyer, teachers, midwives and nurses are found in this small place. Some of them have gone abroad to seek better life.

The sea close the barangay is very deep and blue. Just a few waters http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the shoreline about a stone threw are built fish traps called “baklad” where the biggest and the smallest fish are caught. They are the Tambakol, Gulyasan, Tulingan, Dulong and many other species of fish. It is very fascinating sight to witness fishermen hauling fish http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the “baklad. During low tide, on the shoreline, shells and multi-colored corals are found. Most of the shells are edible.

The people in the barangays are very religious. They are all Roman Catholic. They go to church on Sundays to hear mass. They celebrate “Flores de Mayo” during the month of May in a small chapel built in the center of the barangay. They also held “Pabasa” during holy week and celebrate baptism during feast day.

Life in this barangay is very happy one except during the months when the northeast monsoon blew. The waves strikes against the houses during rough weather. Thus, transportation for the barangay to Poblacion becomes very difficult, living among the fisherman became very difficult too

The recent electrification of barangay has brought many changes in the life of the people. The people, those who belong to the upper bracket now enjoy programs on their television sets.

Formerly the people of Balite sent their children to Banoyo Eementary School. Due to the growing population the people asked for their own school.

Through the efforts of ex-congressman Roberto C. Diokno, a two-room pre-fab building was given and was erected on February 7, 1970.

At the opening of the school yearn 1970-1971, Miss Angelina Salazar, one of the teachers of Banoyo Elementary School was transferred to Balite Barrio School to teach Grade 1 pupils. Mr. Marciano M. Cornejo was the principal and Mr. Pedro Cantos was the District Supervisor at that time. The enrolment was twenty four (24) pupils.

Mr. Marciano M. Cornejo retired in 1971 and ran for Municipal Mayor of San Luis. He was succeeded by Mr. Jose Salazar, retired last August, 1975 and was succeeded by Miss Melecia D. Salazar. At present, Miss Angelina Salazar is still a classroom teacher, Ms. Melecia Salazar, the principal and Ms. Barbara Maligaya, the newly appointed district supervisor of this school.

Stretching along the shore like a giant lobster is the barrio of Banoyo. It is about three kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Poblacion, and can be easily reached by jeeps or by tricycle. Houses, concrete and nipa, line the streets, except a few which are located on the Southeastern part of barrio. This sitio is called Munting Pook, lies on the hill overlooking the Balayan Bay.

Banoyogot its name http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the word “banoyo” which originally meant a bird. It is a very peaceful barrio. Except during the months of July to September when the northeast monsoons come, life in this barrio is a very happy one. The sea abounds in different species of fish and shells, providing a means of livelihood to those who, for one reason or another, do not want to leave the sea.

Banoyo has a church, multi-purpose building and a pavement and a complete elementary school. Most of its people have modern home appliances as a result of the recent electrification of the barrio. The street is made of concrete and asphalt. Water is not a problem. Aside http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the pipe system, most of the homes have force pumps for their water supply.

This is our barrio. Its brief history can be traced on the succeeding paragraphs. The teachers of Banoyo Elementary School are very grateful the barrio folks, who in one way or another supplied the data for this report, the political history, particularly.

Banoyo was already created in the year 1892. Then the Spaniards came, Balibago was made a town, separating it http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the municipality of Taal. After a pause of three years, it was ceded again to Taal due to lack of funds to run the government. Finally, in 1918, the Municipality of San Luis in the name of our Patron Saint was then created and Banoyo was one of the barrios, including sitio Balite. During that time Cabeza de Barangay’s were appointed. The first cabeza was Mr. Diosdado Napeñas, followed by Talesforo Yuzon, Manuel Malabanan and Domingo Tamayo. After cabeza de barangays, they were changed to Barrio Lieutenants and Carnelio Hernandez as the first, then Pedro de Claro, the Barrio Lieutenants during the Japanese occupation. He was followed by Leoncio Marasigan, Eleno de Castro and Constantin Q. Diokno. After the term of Constantin Diokno, sitio Balite was then created a barrio. Eleno de Castro, the first councilor Remegio Tamayo took over as the barangay captain. It was in May 17, 1982 barangay elections when Remegio Tamayo gave way to Aurelio Marasigan, who is now our barangay captain.

Banoyo is situated in southern part of the town and about three kilometers away http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Poblacion. It can be reached on foot or any kind of vehicle traveling through the main road.

The community is bounded by water on the west, tall mountains and thick forest on the south, but it looks much like any other barangay in the progressive lowlands in the east.

What is noticeable in this barrio is that, the people are like one big family. The putting away of bancas along the seashore during high tide is the concern of everybody. Early at dawn one can see children and adults helping carry their neighbor’s nets along the seashore for drying. The same helping hand would again take time out in the afternoon to carry back the nets to the owner’s house. Nobody complains because everybody receives the same treatment he be a small or big fisherman.

What is striking about this barrio is that this barrio attains progress while others do not, so much owing to the inherent potentialities and innate capabilities for advancement of some native here.

People become aware of their present needs. Improvement of housing facilities can be observed also. People came to enjoy their TV programs, their stereo-typed music and the cold storage of their foods. These are the results of education. People became socially adjusted, not only youngsters but also adults.

Like other barrios, Boboy is named after something. It bears carriers with it a certain meaning. Its present and popular name were given by the original family and that name has remained some existence.

Mang Huan Tuksi, the head of the original family was formerly a resident of the neighboring barrio. He lived in poverty and was never contented. Getting tired of his wretched condition, he set out with his family to start living a new one. While in his way to seek fortune, he saw tree flowering among other trees. He made this tree the point of his destination. In his new settlement, he prospered and it did not take him long to live in abundance. From Mang Huan’s Family sprung several other families which now form the barrios. Since then, the barrio has been named Boboy because of the kapok grove which serves as Mang Huan’s landmark.

The barrios have three sites, Dayapan extends http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph east to west along with the board of the Municipality of San Luis and Bauan. Along with houses on the North sides of the road along belong to San Luis and those on the South side along belongs to Bauan on the western part of the main barrio is Camastilisan. The Castillo and Mendoza families are the original or main barrio. Before the permanent settlement of the sitio, the families to the place in the morning and then return in the afternoon. at noon they rest in the nuts made twigs and Talahib. Afterward, they the permanent house constructed. The third and last is Dayapan. These three sitios are named after three dayap, kamatsili, litlit, most common in the locality.

The resident suffered much during the Japanese occupation. The Japanese soldier camped in the Eastern part of the barrio for almost three years. Tunnels to shelter and soldier and serve as a storehouse for food were dug. Prime commodities and everything of values were a seized at the points of the bayonet and the poor barrio folks were compelled to take those things to the tunnels. Farmers were made to plant cotton were never allowed to cultivate crops of their own.

The long Japanese occupation was ended by the coming of the liberation. The Japanese soldiers began to flee for safety as they were assigned http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph every angle either by the Americans or by the Guerillas. The Filipino Guerillas took the task of pursuing the escaping enemies. In the Western part of the barrio a Japanese soldier was shot by the Guerillas under Orlando C. Diokno. The Japanese soldier was buried in the spot where he was shot.   

There were few who dared to go to the other place to try their luck as what they previously did because the people feared very much those Japanese soldiers. The man was confirmed to vegetable growing and women to selling or bartering the garden products for primary necessities such as salt, rice, and dried fish, of course, they suffered a great deal as they were not to this means of survival: Cassava, the chief of food of the less fortunate. They were also those who had rice and the chief of food but only in limited amount and still some of this at irregular times. Life was very miserable; that perhaps the people had become all beggars had the liberators not come at a timely date. There was mark change in the living condition at the start of the American rule after the termination of the Japanese occupation.

Majority of the young man joined the underground movement during the Japanese occupation. It was also during this time the people of the barangays were forced to plant cotton. The harvest was bought by the Japanese. The people were also forced to give foodstuff and manpower to the Japanese soldier. Refusal of the residents meant torture.

It was also during the Spanish time when the means of children education was the learning of the cartilla. The coming of the Americans brought about the change in the education of the youths of the barangays. Elementary education was offered free to the children. First, education was offered in Grade 1 and Grade 2, then Grade 3, and the year after, Grade 4  was offered, children had to go to other towns to attend intermediate classes to complete their elementary education. During the incumbency on Hon. Antonio Delas Alas member of the House Representative, a three-room school building of strong materials were built, that was 1928.

A few years after the second World War elementary education was offered in the barangays. A private secondary school, San Luis Academy founded in Calumpang., thus enabling the children to access to elementary and

The standard of living of the barangays residents, like before, is a little above the average Filipino standards of living. Every family owns a lot where in the house is built. Almost every family has a piece of agricultural; land to build.

– HISTORY NOT FOUND –

The present official name of the barangays is Calumpang. It is situated on the top of the plateau which extends http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Mt. Makulot to Durungao. It is about a thousand feet above sea level. It occupies the eastern part of the Municipality of San Luis and is seven kilometers away http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the town proper.

The barangays, formerly called barrio, was formerly a union of the barangays. Calumpang on the Eastern part and San Martin on the Western part. This union was made during the early part of the American regime. The name of the barangays was derived http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph a big Calumpang tree which grew in the Southern part of the barangays.

The earliest families of the barangays were the Aseron family, Magsombol family, Cilindro family, Bonsol family and Maulion family.

There are many sitios within the jurisdiction of Calumpang. There sitios are Tawiran, Kawayang Bugtong, Espanya, Payapa, Talang, Buwuan, Unggot, Pook, Bahay Tubig and Patay n Mangga.

In sitio Buwuan, the Northern part of the barangays, a camp was made during the Filipino-American war. The inhabitant of the barangays were zoned during the later part of 1900 but were set free in the yearly part of January, 1901. In these early years there were no families setting in many of the present sitios of the barangays.

During the Spanish time the inhabitants were treated as slaves very few had landholdings, some men volunteered to fight against the Spaniards.

They were given military ranks as Kapitan, Tiniente and Kabo. Everyone of them received a pension of Php 15.00.

In the early part of the 19th century, the authorities in this barangays were the tenientes and the kabesas. The distinction of their authorities as compared to other was they carried wooden clubs as a symbol of authority.

All the residents of the barangays were Roman Catholic during the Spanish and American regime. In 1949 however, a new sect preached its doctrine. Only a few numbers of the residents adhered to the new faith. This religious sect, known as Iglesia Ni Kristo, has to these days have many followers in Calumpang.

The coming of the American opened the minds of male residents to business. They paddled dry foods in every part of the country. Parents who could afford sent their children to a higher institution of learning.

HISTORY OF CALUMPANG EAST

Formerly a part of barangays Calumpang, this new political subdivision Calumpang East, could be reached http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the junction of the Alitagtag-San Luis Provincial Road and the Batangas-Nasugbu National Road. It lies approximately one kilometer http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph barangays Muzon at the junction. It is bounded by Barangays Calumpang and San Martin in the west: by San Antonio and Pacifico, barangays of the Municipality of Sta. Teresita, in the north: the Barangays Cupang of the Municipality of Bauan, Batangas in the south.

The Barangays nests on the top of a plateau that extends http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Mt. Makulot on the northeast and Mt. Durungao in the southeast. Situated along the Muzon-Alitagtag-San Luis Provincial Road, it is eight kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the town proper, almost three kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the Municipality of Alitagtag, approximately five kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the Municipality of Sta. Teresita, and eight kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Bauan, Batangas. In the northernmost deep ravine, sugar plantation, and rice lands, lies Taal, the oldest term in this part of Batangas Province.

Calumpang East covers approximately four square kilometers with one hundred fifty households as of the census of 1986. In the central part of the barangays chapel build on foundation of concrete and iron bars and adjacent to it is the school. Across the street on the same site is the Calumpang East Waterworks System with is reservoir towering above the house nearby.

A visitor to Clumping East http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph far south or east at once will note a bamboo grove extending some five hundred meters http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the curve of the provincial road to the north. These bamboo grooves, according to old folks, and dating back http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the nearly Spanish times, was the original residential of its first inhabitants. This place is identified by nth residents “pook” and called as such up to these day. As time goes by the original families in the barangays, particularly the Magsombol’s, Aseron’s and De Gracia’s, intermarried among themselves and naved their resident west and along the provincial road.

Calumpang was the biggest among the barangays of the Municipality of San Luis. This barangays once contemplated to be the site of the Municipal ton hall, but sponsors of the idea were opposed by a grouped composed by Diokno Faction of the local politics who saw to it that the town hall located at what is now called Poblacion near the shore of Balayan Bay.

Calumpang grew to a big community such that local officials found it difficult to administer. Local politics compounded the difficulties of Local Administrations. There were disagreement, discontented, animosities, and rivalries group

Stretching along the shore like a giant lobster is the barrio of Banoyo. It is about three kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Poblacion, and can be easily reached by jeeps or by tricycle. Houses, concrete and nipa, line the streets, except a few which are located on the Southeastern part of barrio. This sitio is called Munting Pook, lies on the hill overlooking the Balayan Bay.

Banoyogot its name http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the word “banoyo” which originally meant a bird. It is a very peaceful barrio. Except during the months of July to September when the northeast monsoons come, life in this barrio is a very happy one. The sea abounds in different species of fish and shells, providing a means of livelihood to those who, for one reason or another, do not want to leave the sea.

Banoyo has a church, multi-purpose building and a pavement and a complete elementary school. Most of its people have modern home appliances as a result of the recent electrification of the barrio. The street is made of concrete and asphalt. Water is not a problem. Aside http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the pipe system, most of the homes have force pumps for their water supply.

This is our barrio. Its brief history can be traced on the succeeding paragraphs. The teachers of Banoyo Elementary School are very grateful the barrio folks, who in one way or another supplied the data for this report, the political history, particularly.

Banoyo was already created in the year 1892. Then the Spaniards came, Balibago was made a town, separating it http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the municipality of Taal. After a pause of three years, it was ceded again to Taal due to lack of funds to run the government. Finally, in 1918, the Municipality of San Luis in the name of our Patron Saint was then created and Banoyo was one of the barrios, including sitio Balite. During that time Cabeza de Barangay’s were appointed. The first cabeza was Mr. Diosdado Napeñas, followed by Talesforo Yuzon, Manuel Malabanan and Domingo Tamayo. After cabeza de barangays, they were changed to Barrio Lieutenants and Carnelio Hernandez as the first, then Pedro de Claro, the Barrio Lieutenants during the Japanese occupation. He was followed by Leoncio Marasigan, Eleno de Castro and Constantin Q. Diokno. After the term of Constantin Diokno, sitio Balite was then created a barrio. Eleno de Castro, the first councilor Remegio Tamayo took over as the barangay captain. It was in May 17, 1982 barangay elections when Remegio Tamayo gave way to Aurelio Marasigan, who is now our barangay captain.

Banoyo is situated in southern part of the town and about three kilometers away http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Poblacion. It can be reached on foot or any kind of vehicle traveling through the main road.

The community is bounded by water on the west, tall mountains and thick forest on the south, but it looks much like any other barangay in the progressive lowlands in the east.

What is noticeable in this barrio is that, the people are like one big family. The putting away of bancas along the seashore during high tide is the concern of everybody. Early at dawn one can see children and adults helping carry their neighbor’s nets along the seashore for drying. The same helping hand would again take time out in the afternoon to carry back the nets to the owner’s house. Nobody complains because everybody receives the same treatment he be a small or big fisherman.

What is striking about this barrio is that this barrio attains progress while others do not, so much owing to the inherent potentialities and innate capabilities for advancement of some native here.

People become aware of their present needs. Improvement of housing facilities can be observed also. People came to enjoy their TV programs, their stereo-typed music and the cold storage of their foods. These are the results of education. People became socially adjusted, not only youngsters but also adults.

Ganito ang kasaysayan na napapaloob sa barangay na ito, kasaysayan ng lumipas na maraming taon, o panahon at dito’y kasama ang matatanda sa una na mga umugit sa panguluhan ng barangay na kung tawagin ay Tiniente Cabeza. Unang Tiniente Cabeza  – Eduardo de Claro, pangalawa – Ramon de Villa na nagging kauna-unahang consejal nang bayan, noong itatag itong bayan ng San luis noong February 28, 1916. Sumunod na nanungkulan ay si Eulalio Masangkay. Nanungkulan ng mahabang panahon sa pamamagitan ng pagkakaisa nang mga nagmamahal na mga kabarangay.

Dahil sa sobrang katandaan na, si G.Eulalio Masangkay ay nag paubay na, ipinalamang na sa kabataan. Taong 1971, si G. Regalado Cabello ay nahalal bilang Capitan del Barrio dating Tiniente Cabeza. Taong 1982, ika-17 ng Mayo, si G. Regalado  Cabello ay pinalitan ng kasalukuyang nanunungkulan, Masikap Hernandez, Punong Barangay, kasama ng kanyang mga concejal Rosendo Magnaye, Romualdo Siscar, Reynaldo Pesigan, Mario Almendras, Carlito Beig, Oscarlito Calanog, Treasurer-Alfredo Caringal and Secretary-Leopoldo Mendoza.

At Sang-ayon sa kasaysayan, ang Dulaan ng mga naging tanyag at batikang magsasaulo ng Pasiong Mahal n gating Panginoon at ang mga mandudula na pawang saulado ang pasion at kasaysayan ng ating mahal na Panginoon ay sina: G. Eduardo Lasala, Ramon de Villa, Sinforoso de Villa, Andres Isla at iba pa. Dito sa bahay ni G. Ramon de Villa nagtatagpo ang lahat nang mandudula. Ang dulaang ito ay kawangis ng sinaulo o calbario ay nagpapaligsahan nang kanilang kagalingan. Maraming tao ang nanonood at sumasaksi ng dulaan na kung tawagin ngayon ay tumbukan. Ngunit noon ay sadyang Dulaan.

Kaya’t mula noong panahong iyon, ang salitang Dulaan ay napalitan ng Dulangan, nang huwag malimot ang kasaysayan, na Dulaan nang ating Mahal na Panginoon. Ito ang makasaysayang istorya n gating Barangay Dulangan ng San Luis, Batangas.

At the base of the mountain southeast of the town of San Luis, lies the small barrio with its present official name as Durungao. This baranagay is about two and a half kilometers south of the baranagay of Calumpang and the narrow road which connects the two barangay makes Durungao accessible to such means of transportation as jeeps, calesa and carts only.

At the slope of the aforementioned mountain, not facing the mainbarangay. There is a spring  which come http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph underneath a bog stone at the root of a big tree. When the people of the community want to get water http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the spring, they ascend the mountains and http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the summit they look beyond the spring (dinurungawan and batis).  After descending slowly the opposite slope, they will finally reach the spring, Hence, the barangay was named Durungao.

Formely, this barangay was named Putol. It was small baranagay and its main narrow road stopped abruptly after a length of about a kilometer. Thus the road which was cut of discounted (putol) gave a name to the whole barangay.

There are no sitios included within the territorial jurisdiction of the barangay.

According to estimation by old folks, the barangay was established about the year 1703. The families of Jose Artillaga and Mariana Cabuyao were the original settlers of this place.

Like other barangays, the people of the community select a head for certain term. During the old times, this head of the community was called “cabeza” but nowadays he is called “Teniente de Barrio”.

Locloc is one of the twenty six barrios of the town of San Luis. It is located on hill that lies south of Poblacion. The hill serves as the boundary line between  the Municipalities of San Luis and Bauan.

Since the early days, and up to the present the place is called “Locloc” meaning sit down. Because the barrio is on the hill the people going to Locloc have to sit down and rest many times along the way due to the steep and rugged pathway, still upon reaching the top of the hill climbers will have to sit down to relax their tired legs.

A story told by old folks the barrio tells how the place got its name. during the early days some people http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the lowland happened to climb up the hill. Because they were not use to climbing a steep hill in sitting position when they went down the hill. One of them said, “To go up and down the hill you have to sit, sit, and sit and sit,” so let us call it Locloc because you have to sit and sit  whether you like it or not. So http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph that time, the place was called Locloc until it became the official name of the place.

The exact date of its establishment is unknown. However, old folks of the palce asser that the barrio was established during the later part of the Spanish period. This is according to the fact that those old folks heard stories about the Spanairds  http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph their grandparents.

Some people believe that this barrio was officially established in 1900 when the town was not yet a part of town of Taal. San Luis became a part of Taal for the second time in 1904.

The barrio has for its sitio a small settlement which extends http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the western part of  the barrio down to the seacost . It is called “Ligpo”. The first settlement in the barrio was made by a man name Paterno Villostas and his wife Maria together with their four chidren Martin, Juan, Esperiona, and Felipa. The four children married in other place but they also settled there. They became the nucleous of the Salazar, Hernandez, De Villa, Onda and Diokno families and which up the present constitute the majority of the families in Locloc.

Nothing could be said about important facts, events and incidents that happened in this barrio during the Spanish time. What could be recalled was the burning of the houses in the barrio by the Macabebes after the people were told to go down to Banoyo and concentrated for the time by the Americans.

With the coming of the Americans the Barrio progressed. The people became conscious in the education of their children. They sent their children to school in Poblacion. During the later part of the American period, a private school was opened, a native who had the opportunity to fish normal course in the Philippine Normal School, now Philippine College. This advocate the opening of a public school in the barrio some years later.

During World War II, peace resigned in the barrio . Except for a little scarcity of food, the people were not distributed much by the war. They were able to do their work peacefully and in the manner the people wished to. The people did not see measure a seen in places destined by the Japanese soldiers. Sorrow came only to northern seas were in the array.

After the war, the people continue to live in the way they lived before. They began to send their children again to school. The people attend to their work in the farm and continue to trade with the people in the lowland. Many families became richer than before, because they became owners of some fish trap.

The people up to the present live like good neighbors and trouble in the place seldom happens. People are peaceful and law-abiding.

Noong unang  panaho sa pananakop ng esapanya ay sumibol at tumubo ang isang nayon  sa hilagang kanluran ng Luzon at ito ang nayon ng luya.Nayon na  nagsimula sa isang batang musmos na naglalakad na may dalang isang uri nang halaman.At sa kanyang paglalakad nakasalubong ng m ga kawal kastila.Naitanong ng kastila sa bata kung anong nayon ito sa takot nang bata ay nakagat niya ang dala dalang halaman at sa tinde nang hanghang ay napasagot siya ng “luya”.At magmula noon ang nayong ito ay tinawag na luya.

Noong panhon iyon ay wala pang tinatawag na puno ng barangays at ng magkaroon lamang ay nang dakong huli na, ang tawag noon ay tenyente kabesa. At ang unang tenyente kabesa ay ang matandang satiago anoyo , at pag kalipas noon ay si bartolome De Villa at ang sumusunod na kapanahunan ay sifelipe comia at sinundan pa nina timoteo lasala, tomas carales, bringido magsino. Andres corales, deonisio boonggaling emerencio comia. Vicente calanog, Antonio holgado at sumunod si camilo corales at pag katapos ng taong 1972 ay nahalal si Guillermo corales

Mahabang Parang got its name http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph its geographical and natural location. Before reaching this place the people will ascend a long tract of land without houses to pass by. In the Barangay proper the house were built for apart, one has to walk long distance http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph one another. This was reason why this place has been called Mahabang Parang.

The Barangay captain in Mahabang Parang http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the first time to the Present were Aguido Marasigan, Eleseo Yuzon, Ruperto Marasigan, Eulalio Baldonado, Marcelino Marasigan, Ramon Villanueva, Galiciano De Castro, then Ramon Villanueva again, the Galiciano De Castro.

Mr. Galiciano de Castro administration has done great improvements for the barrio people. A school was opened, the barrio road was improve, spring development was put up, toilets among houses were built. The younger generation of this barangay are mostly educated. There are teachers, commerce graduate midwife and army and air force employees. The people here were very industrious and resourceful, hence, most important industry dealers is farming. Those who have no farm are cattle raisers, fruit dealers and tickets vendors.

The spirit of this bayanihan still in this barrio. People share problem with one another. Everyone is a friend, hospitality is a common trait. Most of the people are roman Catholic Marriage, baptism and birthdays are celebrated with great festivities.

The people in the early years tried to send their children in Banoyo Elementary School. Because of the growing population, the people wanted to have their own School. Through the initiative and untiring effort of the Barangay Captain, Mr. Galiciano de Castro, a grade I class was organized in 1971-1972 with an enrollment of 10 pupils. Mrs. Regalda de Villa, one of the teacher in Banoyo Elementary School was transferred to Mahabang Parang to teach the newly opened clss. The pupils were taught direct http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph private house owned by Mr. Galiciano de Castro.

After two years, a three room pre-fab building was given by the government. It was erected during the school year 1973-1974 at the present school site. At present, Mrs. De Villa is teaching grade II with an enrollment of 27 pupils and Mrs. Nicasia Onda teaching grade IV with an enrollment of 31 pupils. Miss Barbara S. Maligaya is the newly appointed district supervisor.

Along the provincial road, traversing of San Luis http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph east to west while is on the northern part, lies the not so big but prosperous Barangay Manggahan.

This Barangay only comes immediately after the Second World War. What is now Barangay Manggahan was formerly, the eastern sitio of Barangay Tungal and western Sitio of Barangay Calumpang. The populace of the two sites for having closer interaction with each other than with the barangays http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph where they belonged finally have a common consensus of forming a new Barangay.

A public meeting, wherein every member of the household in what now Barangay Manggahan was represented, was held to get the sentiments of the people regarding the issue. The people were unanimous in their desire to form a new Barangay.

It was the common consensus of the people that the formation of a new Barangay will bring about an immediate solution to the need of the new people and foster progress in the lives of the would-be-barangay inhabitants.

The place was lucky to have one of its sons, the late Mr. Ruperto Hernandez, then a Municipal Councilor, to pursue the aspiration of the people.

Through the usual legal procedures taken and through the untiring efforts of the late Mr. Hernandez, Barangay Manggahan officially became one of the barangays of the municipality of San Luis.

The official name Manggahan was unanimously chosen by its residents because in the time of formation of the Barangay plenty of mango trees grew in the middle of the Barangay.

– HISTORY NOT FOUND –

Poblacion, San luis, Batangas is situated on the eastern shore of Balayan bay, south of Poblacion Dulangan, in the east Brgy. Taliba and northern part is the Municipality of Taal. The existence of this place is http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph 1861 to present and different changes had been made as years went on. The life and living condition of the people is poor as pictured http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph their types of houses which are made http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph primitive materials like cogon, bamboo and rattan. Through the initiative and industriousness of the people, they were able to support and live happily by their occupation they are engage in. farming is the occupation of the people, animal rising is the occupation of the people in the lowland. They use their crude implement and their tamed animals. Fishing is the occupation of the people near the seashore and others are engage in merchandising. Women are engage in home industries, fundamentals handwork and embroidery. These are the good source of income. The people are fed with their products they raised and the excess are sold for the additional of their income.

People worship and believe in God. They offered sacrifices, asked for graces, and ask defense for natural disaster. Catholicism, the number one religion in Poblacion has come a long way since it was first introduce by the Spaniards during the Spanish era. First to be noted about catholic religion was construction of the temporary church made of cogon and bamboo in 1916.

In 1918 the American and there was a compulsory education. Through the initiative of the people in Poblacion, Gabaldon building was erected in 1910. In 1023 the elementary school building was erected in 1926 the home economics and the industrial arts building were constructed. The scarity life of the people did not remain stagnant. There are changes as goes years on, great improvements and commendable accomplishments as well. Transportation of the southern, eastern, northern part of Poblacion is available. It is easy to commute http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph one place to another so with their products which are the source of great income. The schools built in Poblacion help in the education of the children and the youth. Those profession are good in human resources that help improve the town proper. Their good housing and facilities, the additional schools building, the newly erected church and convent, the municipal building and health centers and cloth factories are commendable projects of Poblacion.

According to the legendary tale, long time ago in the later part of the Spanish colonization, ante-dating the coming of the Americans, there was once a village far http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph her mother town. Starting with a family of three, these number was increased as years went on, settlers coming http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the nearby villages and http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph stranger coming down the village http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph different corners of the province and the nearby province.

The villagers started to live in shambles, then improved their living condition by building houses of good materials. With their idea of living in the village permanently and forever, they considered themselves the real settlers and legitimate citizen of the village.

The village was chastened and earned the first name as Sampung Munti. It is because of her being adjacent to barrio of Sampa. Many took it as part of the said adjoining barrio. To other nearby towns and villages, they called the place by different name. The village was known to them as “IBAYIW”. They said that before reaching the village one has to trail along a domesticated forest and upon reaching the boundary of the ravine, six to eight meters in width. This dry creek almost isolates this village http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph other village. In native parlance, the parlance, the word IBAYIW is the place where before reaching it, one has to cross a river, a creek or a ravine and the like.

Some old timers called this place by the other name. They called the village as barrio “PUNGOL”. The village road which has once upon a time rail, was dusty during the dry season and muddy or rainy days and until now, is being stretched http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph north to south and http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph East to West but always ending upon edge of the meandering ravine. Wherever one goes there is always a dead end this is why the village was named so.

Then the barrio name was further changed to her present name, barrio “SAN ANTONIO”.

One moonless and silent while the village was in her deep slumber, the people were awakening by frantic barking of dogs, by the howling of pigs, and the shrieking of the nervous villagers. Unknown intruders, known in the early days as tulisan, robbers or bandits by foreign tongue, warned the peaceful village, cast their lots among the villager. By their numbers and being well-armed they vain boastingly proclaimed to the four winds of their strength to lost and share the richness of the village. The villager as one person fought hard and the fearful olds. One of them who was known for his anting-anting or dupilfiercely fought in hand combat. He was one of the village great protector and defender. His name was again renamed after his. The changed was http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph barrio Pungol to Barrio San Antonio.

Noong panahon pa ng mga kastila ang nayon ng San Isidro ay nasasakop ng bayan ng Taal at ito noon ay nayon ng Munlawin. Ito ay nasa isang mataas na lugar at matatagpuan sa gawing ibaba ng bayan ng Taal. Ang nayong ito noon ay mayroon lamang 50 na nakakalat na bahay sa buong nayon at mayroong 150 mamamayan na tumitira doon. Ang trabaho ng mga lalaki ay mag-araro, mag-kaingin, maghayupan, samantalang ang mga kababaihan naman sa bahay ay humahabi ng abaka at ginagawang sinamay para siyang magamit ng mga taga nayon. Ang nayon ng San Isidro ay pinaliligiran ng mga sumusunod na nayon: sa kanluran ay Banoyo, sa ibaba ay Luya at Boboy, sa silangan ay Balagtasin at sa ilaya ay Bonliw at Bagong Tubig. Bukod sa nayong ito ng Munlawin ay mayroon pang ibang nayon ng Munlawin sag awing silangan na nasasakop ng Taal. Napakahirap para sa mga taga nayon na tumanggap ng sulat o ano mang na buhat sa munisipyo. Ang kartero ay naguguluhan sa paghahatid ng ano mang balita. Sa kasong ito ay iminungkahi na noon ng nanunungkulang Tiniente Cabeza Ambrocio Cortez nag awing Baryo San Isidro at ito’y noong 1920.

Marami ang namuno sa nayong ito na humalili sa yumaong Ambrocio Cortes at sila’y sina yumaong Maximo Ilagan, Pedro Cortez, Ramon Balog, Florentino Ilao, Felipe Artillaga, Feliciano Malibiran, Esteban Cortez at Ricardo Macalintal, hanggang sa sumiklab ang ikalawang digmaang pandaigdig pa pagkatapos ng pananakop ng Hapones. Ang panunungkulan ni Ricardo Macalintal ay hinalinhan ni G. Elias Ilagan. Masyadong mahirap sa ating kabataan dahil sa kalayuan ng mga ito sa bayan ng San Luis. Kaya sa pangunguna ni G. Ilagan pati ng kaniyang dalawang kagawad na sina G. Saturnino Moredo at Ciriaco Malibiran, katulong din ang naging konsehal Isidro Artillaga ay nagkaroon ng paaralang nayon ang San Isidro sa tulong na rin ng nagging Punong-Guro Lorenzo Catanag at ng nagging Mayor Pedro B. Diokno. Ang panunungkulan ni G. Ilagan ay hinalinhan naman ni Floro Marasigan at ito’y noong 1947. Pagkaraan ng apat na taon, si G. Marasigan ay nahalinhan naman ni G. Julio Moredo at duon sa panahong siya ay nanunungkulan ay nagkaroon ng maayos-ayos din naming daang nayon. Noong 1950 ang nanunungkulang Mayor ay si Felix Aseron. Dahil sa hindi pagkakaunawaan ni Mayor Aseron T G. Moredo, inalis sa tungkulin si G. Moredo at inilagay si G. Mamerto Ilao. Pagkatapos ng dalawang taong panunungkulan ni G. Ilao napalitan naman siya ni G. Francisco Cuasay. Pagkatapos ni G. Cuasay nahalinhan naman siya ni G. Gregorio Malibiran noong 1960. Pagkatapos ay napabalik si G. Moredo. Siya ay nagpagawa ng Spring Development na sumusustento sa halos kalahating silangan ng nayon sa tulong ng Local Government. Noon nagging Teniente din si G. Aniano Moredo at naipagawa naman niya ang isa pang Spring Development na siya naming sumusustento sa kaputol na kanlurang nayon ng San Isidro. Dahil sa halalan noong 1971 napabalik sa pagka pangulo si G. Julio Moredo hanggang sa siya ay mamatay noong 1977. Sumunod sa kaniya si G. Rosauro Pakaliwagan hanggang June 6, 1982. Nagkaroon ng halalan ang barangays noong May 17, 1982 at nagkapalad na nanalo si G. Loaquin Valderama kaya mula noong June 7, 1982 hanggang sa kasalukuyan ay siya ang nagging Punong Barangay.

– HISTORY NOT FOUND –

The present official name of the barangay is San Martin.Its present name was derived http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the patron of Saint of Taal. That name was choice of the barangay people, with the  influence of the parish priest of poblacion..

 

Though the official name is San Martin, it has other popular names. By the people of the municipality, it is called Calumpang though a barangay by the latter name is another one. It is said that when the first settlement was made in this region by the was named after the tree. In the course of the population increased and the settled name Sta. Monica and Durungao. Later on, a new one came into being and this is san Martin. All the barangays are still popular by the name of Calumpang.

Manggahan is one of the sitios comprising San Martin, but the Barrio is popular by that also.

This barangay is composed of three sitios – Bagong Karsada (pook), Manggahan and Puguan, Bagong Karsada, meaning new road,was originally called pook at its  founding. Then, there were few houses which were built in the group away http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the neighboring sitios and barangays. It was connected by the narrow trail only with the barangay of Tunggal. A road was built southward http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Manggahan passing through the easthern part of the sitio. Its inhabitants move their dwellings along the new road. The sitio then got its name Bagong Karsada. Manggahan is also called because this sitio is located among several big mango trees that grow in the group. Puguan means a place of “pugo or quails”. The man who first settled there was fond of catching of pugo, so that when his neighbors refered to him, his name eversince and the sitio they founded has been called Puguan.

The exact date of organization of the barangay could not be reckoned by any of the old folks in the barangay, interviewed. No records could be found in the municipal government nor in the church. It is presumed that the barangay with its present name was born  when the Capitan Juan Huerto was the alcalde of the town.  The birth of the barangay led to the construction of the new road so that the three sitios composing it were connected together.

A long, long time ago, before the coming of the Spaniards in our country, there lived in a place now known as Sta. Monica. An old woman whose religious instincts were so profound, that she acted as if she had already been converted into Christian religion. One day this old woman whose name was Monica was gathering fruits in the forest when suddenly she saw an object which could not be mistaken http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the image of a woman. Upon seeing the image which committed the bright ray, she knelt down and prayed her native prayer. After half an hour of praying she saw an image coming down the tree. She become bolder and stood up as the image approached her. She touch the image and there, she heard distinctly these words: “Monica go home and tell your folks that they must change their kings of worship and believe only in the supreme lord, the almighty God.” Where upon Monica wept and left the forest for them to see and hear the voice of the holy image.

Unfortunately, when they went with her to the forest the image don’t appear, the people become so mad at Monica that they had tied her to the tree to punish her.

The next morning, the people went with her to the forest the image didn’t appear. The people become so mad at Monica that they tied her to the day before. They saw Monica high up in the tree holding a bog candle of wax but was not touching any part of the tree. When told to come down, she answered that the holy image would not allow her. Convinced that there was really power holding her, the people knelt down and prayed. Finally, Monica come down http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the tree but upon reaching the ground she fell dead. The people wept all day and night and took vigils over her dead body for several nights before they buried her in a place high above the house.

To remember her always, the chief or Datu of the village persuade of the village “Monica but to add more religious significance was subdivided into that we call “Puera” “Bagong Sikat” and “Karsada”.

Going eastward, following the provincial road http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the town proper of San Luis, the first barangay one would came across is Taliba. This barangay is about two and one half kilometers long and more or less than one half kilometers wide, bounded by brook on the north and ravine on the south. It has former name halang. The story of how the name was changed http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph Halang to Taliba is a very interesting one. In 1904, the present town of San Luis became a part of Taal. Taal then had already a barangay called Halang. Therefore, two barangays in the same town have the same name. to avoid confusion, one of the nade had to be changed. In giving a name more fitting to the place, the people took into consideration two neighboring barangays. On the north of Taliba is barangay called Sampa which means climb, and on the south is Talon which means jump. Taliba on the other hand means guard, so the former name Halang being in the middle of Sampa and talon was named Taliba(guard) to prevent Sampa http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph climbing and talon http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph jumping.

Upon entering Taliba, one would doubtless notice that the houses were built in groups. There groups of houses http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph different sitios. One sitio on the western part of Taliba is called “Bibingkahan”. It got its name http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the work were bibingka were made. It is said in the old days, an old woman in the sitio used to make and sell bibingka which were so delicious. From the time on, the people called the places bibingkahan. Another sitio is Taliba proper, which is found in the central part of the barrio, was given such because of its location. A third sitio is called Biyong, this is located in the eastern part of barangay. Nobody knows how Biyong got its name. Until now people living in the place are still unhappy for having gotten such name for their sitio.

Eduardo Lasala was teniente del barrio when the American came in 1900. Marcelina Marasigan served as teniente del barrio during the Japanese occupation and Augustin Gahol was then after the liberation. People in Taliba had also their share of sorrow and sufferings experienced by the rest of the Filipino people during the different stages of our country’s struggle for freedom.

In 1900, during the American campaign to conquer the province of Batangas, the Filipino revolutionary forces under the joint commands of captain Juan Dumanfa, it. Androado Hernandez and Lt. Buenaventura Isla encountered the American forces in the sitio of bibingkahan. Because of lack of arms and ammunitions, the Filipino lost in the battle and retreated. After the battle, the American burned more houses and rice barns in the barangay.

Talon is one of the barangay of San Luis which located in the southeast part of the town. It lies on the plateau two kilometers http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the town proper.

This barangay was named after the rapid falls which fall against big rocks on the foot of the hill. It was said that the source was big and had with stood long dry seasons of the ages. Folk tales were told about it by the old inhabitants of the barangay. Traces of this falls could not be found at these days when the forest had been cleared and large trees washed down. The place was quiet and peaceful one, where the people were satisfied and thankful for the mercy given them by the Almighty God. The folks were proud to name their place, Talon.

The recent census shows that there are 147 families with a total population of 831.

Now the barangay is at the stage of development thru the efforts and patience of the hardworking inhabitants. Majority of the people are laborers, some merchants and still few professionals.

Since the beginning the residents of barangay Talon are aware of the importance of education. The parent sent their children to Central School two kilometers away http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the said barangay. The young children used to walk all the way http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph home to school and same in return. They have done this for days and years. At time passed by  aroused among  the people a dream of having a school.

In July 1970, an extension class grade one was formally opened with a handful of 27 beginners. This class was handled Abiacao. It was housed or sheltered in the barangay itself.

The preceding year in 1971, the second grade was enlisted, hence, an additional teacher was assigned. Miss Julia R. Atienza, a native of the place handle the class, which was assembled  at the residence of Mr. Vivencio Cabello, one of te barangay councilman.

The two organized classes, grades I and II did not stay long at the temporary buildings. As  a school population grow, there was a felt necessity of having a school in the community. The dream of the inhabitants to have a school house was realized thru the untiring effort of Mr. Epifanio Masangkay, who offered the lot where the building was erected. Mr. Juan de Villa, the barangay Captain during that time, the barangay Councilman and other prominent people of the time in the community devoted such time for the establishment. They were assisted and guided by Mr. Lorenzo H. Catanag, the principal in-charge of San Luis Central School. The ex-Mayor Marciano M. Cornejo, the principal of Banoyo Elementary School during that time, directed the representation to Hon. Roberto C. Diokno, the Congressman of the First District of Batangas at the time. Then by the direction of this able person the budget for the construction was released as by September 1971 the building was erected.

By October, 1971 the two classes grade I and II moved http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the temporary rented building to the new constructed one, the school building. Then, they continue their efforts for the improvements of the school. The success of any project will depend upon the cooperation of all concern, the school personnel, the barangay officials and community as whole.

Tejero is one of the barrios in the municipality of San Luis. It is located at the eastern part of the town and lies on a plateau about one kilometer http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the Poblacion proper. It is composed of south and North Tejero. It is bounded on the north by the barrio of Taliba, on the west of Talon and on the South by Abiacao. At the first, a half Tejero was connected by Talon until 1968. Since 1968 a half of Tejero as a joint to the barrio of Tejero through the cooperation of Constantino Cuerdo.

The name Tejero is originated http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the small body of water (stream). It was on the ravine lying between North and South Tejero. Formerly it was a great use but as time went on it perished.

The recent census shows that the barrio has 80 homes with 85 families and a  total population of 409.

Since the beginning, the residents of  Tejero are law-abiding, and peace-loving people. To promote peace and order the people appointed several prominent men to serve as Barangay Captain and Councilors.

There are improvements in the barrio during the present administration. The improvements are patterned http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the National Government Thrust. Now are the days when the government projects for the several areas are its boom which are tangible incentives towards progress. Some projects implemented were the construction of roads, artesian wells, and barrio hall. Another accomplishment of the present administration is the construction of a bridge that crosses the gap between the two legitimate part of the barrio, the northern and southern part. This was appropriated by the release of ₱5,000.00 pesos allotted to each barangay. The barrio people showed interest in offering free labor.

San Luis town was a part of Taal. By virtue of the law, it was created to be a town proper in the year 1910-1911. The original barangays of this town were eleven (11).

Prior the year 1911, there lived an industrious couple on a hilly side in the northern tip of the present barangay where the plain view of the famous terrible Taal Volcano can be seen by the naked eye. The woman was an avid lover of natural beauty and she got a very keen interest in growing various blooming plants. Day by day and year by year her beautiful flowers became the symbol of attraction by the passers-by. Like wildfire in the dense forest, her different coloring flowers were known to various nearby sitios. People flock in her garden to satisfy their eyes in watching the swaying stems of those color tinted flowers. The news even spread to distant places.

One fine morning in the early dawn of May, while the woman was watering her such loved blooming plants, she incidentally saw a peculiar plant with slender stems and cluster of crystals white flowers. She was so enchanted and she propagated the so-called flower in the garden. She made the utmost care in roaring the kind of plant and after a number of years, she had grown an enormous quantity of it’s kind. That beautiful white flower was named as “Catungal”. The first syllable “ungal” which during those days when that kind of flower was in bloom the cats (pusa) make their unusual noise. From then on that flower was called “Catungal”.

Years passed by and the woman was weakened by old age. Before she rested in the piece and ponderously and respectively told her children and grandchildren to attend to her garden mentioning especially the “Catungal”.

When San Luis was separated http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph her mother town, Taal. The sitio where the woman was living became one of the barangays. The people of that place agreed to name the barangays “Tunggal” in honor of the said woman whose love for flowers can never be equaled. The barangays populace chose Hilarious Macatangay as their first Teniente del Barrio. After their several years of fruitful administration in the rehabilitation of the infant barangays, he was succeeded by an energetic and dynamic leader, no other than Mr. Efipanio de Claro http://sanluisbatangas.gov.ph the year 1911 to 1919. He continued the unfinished task of Mr. Macatangay. His unequaled potentialities placed the barangay in a very sound and stable situation. From 1919 to 1938, the peaceful barangay was under the able leadership of Mr. Eleias Bonsol. He introduced several changes which later on was a success. After his fruitful administration, he was then followed by Mr. Eloro Bonsol. He then activated the various needs of his barangay mates. During the Japanese occupation, the untiring efforts of the incumbent proved to be the best in dealing with the invaders. His term lasted up to 1945., the liberation year. After his unequaled and enviable term, he was succeeded by Mr. Maximo Bunyi. He tried his best to satisfy his people and after doing his share in shaping the barangay to it’s best he was succeeded by Mr. Lamberto C. Malapitan in 1949.